Since 2007, when the first international publication on the use of dry needling in neurological patients was published, little by little more scientific publications have been produced supporting the effectiveness of the technique.
Although most of the publications are clinically oriented, research work is also done on basic science and cost analysis.
The most outstanding publications (international impact journals) are:
- Cuenca Zaldívar JN, Calvo S, Bravo-Esteban E, Oliva Ruiz P, Santi-Cano MJ, Herrero P. Effectiveness of dry needling for upper extremity spasticity, quality of life and function in subacute phase stroke patients. Acupuncture in Medicine. August 2020. doi:10.1177/0964528420947426
- Ortín, J.A.; Bravo-Esteban, E.; Ibáñez, J.; Herrero, P.; Gómez-Soriano, J.; Marcén-Román, Y. Effects of Deep Dry Needling on Tremor Severity and Functionality in Stroke: A Case Report. Healthcare 2021, 9, 5. https://dx.doi.org/10.3390/healthcare9010005
- Herrero P, Mayoral O. “A Case Study Looking at the Effectiveness of Deep Dry Needling for the Management of Hypertonia”. Journal of Muskuloskeletal Pain. San Antonio,Texas, EEUU. Vol 15. Issue 2. 2007.
- Calvo S, Quintero I, Herrero P. Effects of dry needling (DNHS technique) on the contractile properties of spastic muscles in a patient with stroke: a case report. Int J Rehabil Res. 2016 Jun 29.
- Calvo S, Navarro J, Herrero P, Del Moral R, De Diego C, Marijuán P. Electroencephalographic Changes After Application of Dry Needling [DNHS© Technique] in Two Patients With Chronic Stroke. MYOPAIN 2017, 23:3-4. P.112-117 ISSN 2470-8593.
- Hadi S, Khadijeh O, Hadian M, Niloofar AY, Olyaei G, Hossein B, Calvo S, Herrero P. The effect of dry needling on spasticity, gait and muscle architecture in patients with chronic stroke: A case series study. Top Stroke Rehabil. 2018 Apr 23:1-7.
- Jiménez Sánchez C, Ortiz Lucas M, Bravo Esteban E, Mayoral del Moral O, Herrero Gallego P, Gómez Soriano J. Myotonometry as a measure to detect myofascial trigger points: an interrater reliability study. Physiological Measurement. Volume 39, Number 11. ISSN 1361-6579.
- Villafañe JH, Lopez-Royo MP, Herrero P, Valdes K4, Cantero-Téllez R, Pedersini P, Negrini S. Prevalence of Myofascial Trigger Points in Poststroke Patients With Painful Shoulders: A Cross-Sectional Study. PM R. 2019 Feb 7. doi: 10.1002/pmrj.12123.